
Then, a golden mystery upheaved itself on the horizon - a beautiful, winking wonder that blazed in the sun, of a shape that was neither Muslim dome nor Hindu temple spire. It stood upon a great knoll... "There's the old Shwedagon," said my companion. The golden dome said "This is Burma, and it will be quite unlike any land you know about."
-Rudyard Kipling, "Letters from the East"
Indeed.
It's really difficult for me to put my Myanmar experience into words. "Amazing," "humbling," "incredible," "inspiring" - they all describe the journey, and yet, are horribly inadequate. I've been fortunate to travel the world, see some incredibly beautiful places, meet genuinely gracious people... and yet, I dare say that Myanmar trumps all at this point (and that's saying a lot - I had a very similar reaction when I was in Laos). But visiting Myanmar was honestly the trip of a lifetime. It is an auspicious time for the country - it is in the midst of great change regarding its government, human rights and international affairs (fingers crossed), and there is a hope that pervades this notoriously repressed nation that is palpable. I feel honored to have been there at this significant crossroads. I won't go into a political discourse, but I encourage anyone to learn about Myanmar's turbulent, violent recent history and keep an eye on the news as the country makes strides toward democracy. Learn about "The Lady," for the Nobel Peace Prize-winning Aung San Suu Kyi will assuredly be central to Myanmar's transformation.
Politics and human rights aside, Myanmar simply had me on sensory overload. The sights, both gorgeous and disheartening (the shimmering gold.. the ever-present filth...); the sounds, both musical and cacophonous (bird calls I'd never heard before... droning monks on loudspeakers well before sunrise...); the smells, both alluring and noxious (sandalwood... unrefrigerated fish...) - all combined for an experience that the pictures on this site could never convey. I will always remember that the country smelled of campfires wherever I went; that the laughter and singing and chatter of children were a huge source of my joy; that the incense, chanting and ritual of the payas helped to center and calm me. More than anywhere else I have traveled, I honestly - and mindfully - took to heart the Buddha's saying: "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." I was present. I was aware. I was happy.
Thank you so much to my amazing, adventurous, talented traveling partners, my photography family. Thank you, thank you, thank you to Willy, the best in-country guide that I've ever had the pleasure to know (below). And thank you Myanmar. Til we meet again!
(Note: You'll find a few narratives and stories about my adventures in the tabs across the top of this page. The remainder of the site I've mostly just let the pictures speak for themselves. You can navigate to the many, many sections of this site using the links down the right hand side of the page, or by simply hitting the "older posts" link at the bottom of each page. There's a lot here - mostly for my own amusement and memories - but I sure hope you enjoy it!)
Politics and human rights aside, Myanmar simply had me on sensory overload. The sights, both gorgeous and disheartening (the shimmering gold.. the ever-present filth...); the sounds, both musical and cacophonous (bird calls I'd never heard before... droning monks on loudspeakers well before sunrise...); the smells, both alluring and noxious (sandalwood... unrefrigerated fish...) - all combined for an experience that the pictures on this site could never convey. I will always remember that the country smelled of campfires wherever I went; that the laughter and singing and chatter of children were a huge source of my joy; that the incense, chanting and ritual of the payas helped to center and calm me. More than anywhere else I have traveled, I honestly - and mindfully - took to heart the Buddha's saying: "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." I was present. I was aware. I was happy.
Thank you so much to my amazing, adventurous, talented traveling partners, my photography family. Thank you, thank you, thank you to Willy, the best in-country guide that I've ever had the pleasure to know (below). And thank you Myanmar. Til we meet again!
(Note: You'll find a few narratives and stories about my adventures in the tabs across the top of this page. The remainder of the site I've mostly just let the pictures speak for themselves. You can navigate to the many, many sections of this site using the links down the right hand side of the page, or by simply hitting the "older posts" link at the bottom of each page. There's a lot here - mostly for my own amusement and memories - but I sure hope you enjoy it!)

No comments:
Post a Comment